Saint John Mary International School is an independent school that is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. From this point forward and within this privacy notice, SJMIS will be referred to as either “we”, “us” or “our”.
This privacy notice is aimed at addressing the usage and/or processing of any personal data relating to both parents and students. This privacy notice also extends to those who have a relationship with us and can include the following:
- Potential recruits;
- Potential suppliers;
- Prospective pupil;
- Prospective parent;
- Next of kin.
As an independent educational institution, the Personal Data Protection Act B.E 2562 (2019) (PDPA) applies to us.
Information you give us
The term ‘personal data’ refers to any information that identifies you or can be used to identify a ‘data subject’ (describes the person about whom the personal data is about) when used with other information.
We may obtain information from you in several different ways, which include the following:
- Visiting our School;
- During an interview or meeting with any school personnel;
- Visiting our website or any interaction through the website (chatbox, filling out forms);
- Any correspondence through the phone, e-mail, or post;
- Sending information directly to us which includes personal information that is requested or deemed necessary (CVs, job application forms, business cards).
The information that you may give us may include the following information about you:
- Your full name;
- Date of birth;
- National identity card number;
- Marital status;
- Employment history;
- Salary information;
- Home address;
- E-mail address;
- Phone numbers (mobile, home/work phone numbers);
- Passport details such as passport number, nationality, and immigration status;
- Financial information;
- Criminal clearance information;
- Education achievements and records;
- Mental and health history;
- Information regarding race, ethnic origin, religion, and sexuality (to ensure equal opportunities are being practiced);
- Information regarding any safeguarding or child protection issues.
Information we obtain when you visit our website
When you visit our website, we automatically collect the following information:
- All technical information such as the IP (Internet Protocol) address, browser type, and version, browser plug-ins, time zone settings, OS (operating system), and platforms;
- All information about your visit including your URL (Uniform Resource Locators), pages viewed, searches made, downloads made, length of visit, and any page interactions;
Information we receive from other sources
SJMIS works closely with several third parties and could obtain information from them. These third parties may include but are not limited to:
- Previous employers;
- Recruitment agencies;
- Medical practitioners;
- Developmental specialists;
- Educational institutions and authorities.
Uses made of the information received
Information you give us
SJMIS will use the information obtained from you for the following purposes:
- To store information on our information management system;
- To enforce the terms and conditions of any contract that we may have finalized with you;
- To enable us to procure your services;
- To ensure the most effective and efficient management of SJMIS;
- To ensure our Schools’ legal obligations are being met;
- To keep you informed of any important news and developments;
- To promote and market SJMIS through various social media
SJMIS relies on software technology and other technology to process data about you. These include our school information management system, HR, and finance systems. All third-party software we use has been evaluated and chosen with security as its fundamental purpose. SJMIS uses the ‘Chatree’ program to store all personal information.
To fulfill any contractual obligations with you, your information may be used to complete any requests required by you and us. In addition, there may be legal requirements where your information may be needed. Some of the information may be required for legal documents which may include but are not limited to the following:
- Accounting regarding any payment made;
- Government administrative requirements;
- Immigration status.
Information we collect about you from our website and social media
When you visit our website or make inquiries through any social media platform, the information that you share with us may be used to contact you for information and other purposes. The information received may be used to evaluate our website’s effectiveness and troubleshooting. With this information in hand, we may adjust our services to provide you with a more safe browsing experience.
Information we collect about you from other sources
In certain circumstances, we will need to gain information from other sources. This information may include employment references or medical references. This information will be used for the relevant purposes only and if not applicable, will be effectively disposed of immediately.
Information we collect about you from our CCTV system
We have CCTVs installed throughout our campus to ensure that all our students, staff, personnel, and property are as safe as possible. CCTVs are also installed in our Kindergarten classrooms to ensure that there are no safeguarding issues. Our footage is retained for 14 days after which they are automatically deleted unless we need to retain the images for further investigation or police purposes.
Your personal information may be shared for a variety of reasons and may be shared with the following:
- Local authorities;
- OPEC (Office of the Private Education Commission);
- MOE (Ministry of Education);
- Family Service Centers in Thailand;
- Police (if there are child protection and safeguarding concerns);
- Third-party legal obligations
- Enforce contractual agreements between you and us.
Videos and photography
Photographs and videos are a way for us to record and share our community experiences with employees, parents, students, alumni, and prospective parents. We use media for promotional purposes on the website, newsletters, printed publications, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Photographs and videos may also be used for educational purposes. As members of our community, students, parents, and employees may be photographed or filmed and may be used for promotional and educational purposes.
Disclaimer – Photographs or videos used for promotional purposes will not identify individuals by their full names.
Under the GDPR and PDPA, you have the following rights:
- Right to notice– you have the right to be notified why we need to collect your data and how it will be used.
- Right to correction– You have the right to have any corrections made to your data.
- Right to withdraw consent– You have the right to withdraw any consent given to us at any time.
- Right to restriction– You have the right to restrict and suppress your data. For example, when you notify us that the information is inaccurate, we will continue to store your data but the information will not be processed.
- Right to request transfer– You have the right to ask for your data in a structured, usually in a computer-readable format. You also have the right to forward this to a third-party organization.
- Right to object– You have the right to object to any processing of information that we may need to complete.
- Right to object to marketing– You have the right to decline any use of your data for marketing purposes.
- Right to complain to ‘Personal Data Protection Committee (PDPC)’– While we would prefer you to approach us first regarding any complaints or queries, you have a right to file a complaint with the PDPC.
- Right to request access– You have the right to access any personal data we hold about you.
- Right to request disclosure – You have the right to know where we have obtained your personal information if not directly provided by you.
- Right to remove– You have the right to request that we remove your data that no longer has contractual relevance to our relationship.
- Right to receive– You have the right to request your personal information from us as well as request us to send it to you and another party.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Any updates or changes that need to be made in the future will be posted on our website and where necessary, will be shared with you electronically.
If you have questions, requests, or issues, please let us know how we can help. Our Data Protection Officer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org